I was watching Oprah today and the idea for this blog was born. I'm turning over a new parenting leaf and thought a blog about my experience would be a good way to keep track of my progress. I wonder how often that happens after an Oprah show. On Monday, the topic was lesbians who accidentally married men, the mind boggles at what sort of blogs that may have created. But I digress….
I have three children. Princess Coco is 9, Princess LuLu is 7 and Princess MiMi is 3. They are pretty good kids. They say “please” and “thank you” and usually wait their turn. They don’t get sent to the principal’s office, and generally their teachers don’t seem to hate them. The three-year-old had a biting problem, but she seems to have outgrown it.
I’m married to the children’s father, King George. He is a terrific father. He not only loves them but he also likes spending time with them. George loves to shop for them …I have lots of stories about him coming home with entire pink wardrobes for them.
And finally there's me. I am a work in progress. I thought I was doing a good job as a Mom until I saw Oprah this morning. I realize now that I am guilty of taking the easy way out. I give them too much and let them get away with too much. Apparently I am opening a hole in them that can never be filled....which sounds kind of harsh but also has the ring of truth about it.
So, here's what I am going to do:
· Remember every day that PARENTING is the most important thing that I will ever do.
· Mean “no” when I say no…..and always mean what I say.
· Give my children chores to do every day for which they will receive an allowance. $2 for every day they do all of their chores.
· I will stop buying them things they don’t need except for special occasions or special accomplishments.
· I will love them thoroughly and completely which means I will not take the easy way out in parenting.